AD using diaposable diapers

Digester design and construction info

Moderator:Bob

Paul
AD using diaposable diapers

Post by Paul » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:33 pm

Bob hi
I have read a lot about using slurry and cow and swine manure in an AD facility. Do you know where I could find info about using shredded dirty disposable diapers as the substrate for the AD facility?
Can you advise me how to do the calculations in this instance??
Thanks
Paul

Bob

Post by Bob » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:10 am

I don't know of any research done on it, Paul.

Lacking that, all I can suggest is shredding some and testing them in a test digester.

blimpyway

Post by blimpyway » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:13 pm

I recall a discussion regarding composting diapers - not all of them are biodegradable. I suppose non-biodegradable wont be digested at all.. except for their "contents"

Bob

Post by Bob » Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:55 pm

Yes. In my opinion, disposable diapers are just another example of our dominant culture's "smart but not wise" thinking. Human waste does not belong in landfills, and the plastic and artificial fiber in these diapers does not belong in our sewers or wastewater treatment plants.

The best solution to the problem I can think of would be some sort of waste separator -- something like a small scale household version of a project I worked once. (Read the Kaktovik details)

(Here's an idea for an invention -- a device something like the wringer on a mop bucket that you would attach to the edge of a toilet (or a digester mixing drum?)