- Average monthly stream flow data: Twelve average stream flow values: one for each month of the year.
- Height of water level in the dam above the turbine. Power (watts) = Head (in meters) x flow rate (l/sec) x 9.81. So to get an average electrical output of ~10KW, you would need a drop of 20 meters and an average flow rate of 50 lps.
- Slope — determines length of pipe and cost.
- Accessibility — affects cost / difficulty of construction.
- Location of power plant relative to nearest available Distance from grid — affects cost.
Solar (PV and Solar thermal (SDHW):
- Latitude & Longitude. (8° 59’N, -83° 31′ W)
- Average monthly cloud cover data. (Retscreen, Homer, NASA SSE, onsite data collector)
- Area of land under cultivation and in what crop. Including greenhouses, aquaponics, etc.
- Estimate of agricultural waste from each (volume of prunings, etc. generated monthly). Chickens, goats, tilapia?
- Population (See below — used to estimate total amount of household waste and humanure generated by month.)
- Number and type of buildings, est. hourly occupancy. (restaurant, bar, community center, school, residences)
- Price of (grid) electricity. (link to ICE Tarifas, link to grid-tie solar PV economic calculator)
- Price of propane (cooking gas)
- Capital cost of each system to be evaluated. (Can only be done after preliminary design, with estimate refined as design is developed.)
- O&M cost of each system to be evaluated. $/yr
- Estimate of total anticipated population, number of households x average number of people per each. (Used to estimate loads and amount of waste produced.)
- Layout. Plan showing approximate distance between living units, population density (used to determine economies of scale — whether centralized systems with distribution grid make more sense than individual on-site systems without.
Sanitation, garbage collection, recycling center?
- Combination of central sewer & piping (in denser areas) and individual on-site (in sparser populated areas)?
- How it all ties together. Need to coordinate with Gary, architects and engineers designing the buildings and systems.
- Current plan is to build an AC-coupled microgrid.
Codes, Regulatory Agencies, Elec utility requirements, Controls…
- Coordination with elec utility for any grid-connected elec generation.
- Compliance with all relevant code requirements.