from SMA Review:
One of the coolest features of the SMA Sunny Island 4248U Inverter is its ability to create a ‘mini grid’ in off grid remote areas. The Sunny Island can power the grid in a small community. Then each residence or building can have it’s own SMA Sunny Boy grid tied inverter tied to the Sunny Island’s ‘grid’. This way each building can generate power and it feeds the grid for the whole community all based of the Sunny Island’s AC output that creates the power grid. At night time or periods of little sun the the SMA Sunny Island 4248U still powers the grid but without the support of any SMA Sunny Boy’s. In this situation, if more power is needed you can run a generator and have it transferred through the Sunny Island.
Arizona Wind-sun forum discussion and review of ac-coupled mini-grid
- AC Coupling in Renewable Energy Systems Outback white paper.
- AC Coupling in Utility-Interactive and Stand-Alone Applications – SolarPro Magazine article
- Alphatron Microgrid Brochure
- Microgrids for Rural Electrification ppt presentation by Dana Brandt
- Microgrids and their operations: Thesis for the Degree of Master of Science inTechnology. (an 81 page technical document)
- SMA Brochure
- Energy meter for 120/240 Volt, 3-wire 60Hz (as found in HP Article: A Multifamily PV Project at Ecovillage at Ithaca