Welcome!

Design, build and install a low cost batch feed composting toilet.

Moderator:Bob

Bob
Welcome!

Post by Bob » Sun Oct 15, 2000 6:51 pm

There is tremendous demand in many parts of the world for safe, reliable, affordable sanitation systems able to provide the convenience of flush toilets in locations where water supplies and wastewater disposal options are limited. Aerobic composting toilets offer one viable solution.

Existing units generally fall into two categories: units sized for small families and/or weekend cabin use, costing about $1,000-$1,500 (e.g. Sun-Mar , BioLet, Envirolet, etc.); and larger, full capacity units sized for larger families and full-time residential use (e.g. Clivus Multrum, Phoenix, AlasCan, etc.). These units typically start at about $4,000, and go up from there, with installed costs running as high as $20,000. Neither option provides a satisfactory solution to the general problem. The smaller units tend to be inadequate for full time residential use and require more attention, while the larger units are generally priced beyond the reach of those who need them the most.

Biorealis Systems has developed a simple, large capacity composting toilet system which can be owner-built for less than the cost of typical smaller units, yet provide performance and features not found on systems costing far more.

More...

This is a place to ask and answer questions about how to build, install and use these composters, and to share our experiences.

ewyork

Post by ewyork » Sat Jan 19, 2002 9:29 am

Hey Bob!
Thanks for the promising lead on DIY composting toilets. We're two jaded New Yorkers escaping to the countryside soon. Our organic homesteading plans have long featured a composting toilet system, but even outside of Alaska, we haven't been thrilled with the expensive systems available, particularly as everyone out there seems to say "System A is a rip-off, but System B works great," followed by "System B is a rip-off, but System A works great."
Your no-nonsense approach is welcome, the vacuum-pump idea is grat, and we want more information. The links on your installation design aren't up. How can we further pick your brain?

Bob

Post by Bob » Sat Jan 19, 2002 12:10 pm

Ask away!

David Shah

Post by David Shah » Fri Jan 25, 2002 1:18 pm

Hey Bob,ya know the guy who wrote the HUMANURE book?well,he's got a little forum on a website called WEBLIFE.org and on the forum oh maybe back in october there was a guy from a station in ANTARCTICA asking about a way to take care of their wastes up there.it seems they have to fly their shit out by helicopter to keep a fjord from getting polluted,,i have'nt seen anything from him for a while,i don't know if they found a satisfactory solution or not but i wish you'd check it out and help those guys,we don't want them wrecking the antarctic now do we?thanks alot..by the way my nom de guerre there is Diogenes,so you can check out what i said about Methane generators and other stuff..again thanks and i hope you can help them..