I need BAD SMELL

Digester design and construction info

Moderator:Bob

andreibl
I need BAD SMELL

Post by andreibl » Sat Apr 19, 2003 5:01 am

I'm not sure this is exactly on-topic for this forum - sorry to the moderator if it isn't. But yes, I need to create a substance which smells bad for some hours. Why? There are some punks hanging out under my balcony, making noise, and I can't get good sleep. So, what I need to do is to throw some of this substance in the street under my balcony before I go to sleep so that it produces a bad enough smell for 8-9 hours so that those noisy bastards don't come there. Calling police is not an option and neither is talking to them - they'd just come back. The trick is to produce this substance cheap enough and with available components and to JUST smell bad but to be HARMLESS. Pls help to get my sleep back. Thanxxxx

Bob

Post by Bob » Sat Apr 19, 2003 4:05 pm

Heh. Not exactly on topic, but kind of a fun problem to tackle. (And probably a lot easier than the opposite, more typical problem of how to prevent smells.)

How about this? Get a dozen eggs and a dead fish (or more, depending on size). Break the eggs, put them all in a plastic bucket and pee in the bucket till everything is covered with urine. Put the bucket inside a large garbage bag on your balcony. Tie it off tightly. Leave for a few days (in the sun?) until nicely ripe. This is a very low C/N recipe, should produce lots of H2S (rotten egg smell) and ammonia. Nasty!

So much for generating the smell. Now to distribute it.

Low tech version: When you hear them down below, sneak out on the balcony, open the top of the bag, and ideally, have a small (silent) fan set up to blow the odor down to where they are, and away from your windows, etc. Hope they don't see or hear you.

Higher tech version: Rig up a small air pump (available at any aquarium store. look for the quietest one you can find) and some concealed 1/4" plastic tubing arranged to discharge near where the perps are hanging out. Of course you have to set it up when no one is around to see, and be able to conceal it all so it won't be found if they start looking for the source of the odor. Simplest would be to put the air pump in the bag, and tape up around the tube where it penetrates the plastic bag. Then put a motion detector where it will turn on the air pump whenever anyone is in the beam.

Hah. Fun. Let us know how it works. :-)

Warning. Don't let it get too bad or the neighbors might think you have a dead body or something in your place and call the cops. :-)

Bob

Post by Bob » Sun Apr 20, 2003 11:06 am

I asked your question to some others, and got some more ideas - better and simpler.

You can buy bottled "skunk oil" at places that cater to hunters. Sprinkle some of this around where they gather, or leave it in open containers, if you can conceal them well enough.

andreibl

Post by andreibl » Mon Apr 21, 2003 2:54 am

Dear Bob

Thanks a lot! I'm glad you're having fun with it...

The first one sounds effective but a bit desgusting (plus it could generate dangerous germs?)....not sure I can do that. The second one ... interesting! (but what is it?, never heard of it and don't know how to translate it). This one is more in the spirit of what I was thinking - like to throw a substance in the street and let it vaporise. I had a thought of acetic acid (vinegar) combined with amoniac (I think it's used in one of the cooking ingredients -not sure which)...but I think that this one vaporises too quickly - 1-2 hours and it's gone. So, something oily sounds good as it should vaporise slowly...thankxxxxx again

nathan_lamothe

Post by nathan_lamothe » Mon Apr 28, 2003 6:05 pm

mmmm skunk oil. And if you ever get a stuffed head, one drop of that in about 2 quarts of warm water... breath that for a while and it'll clear your head...

stores like San Francisco sell "stink bombs"... tiny glass vial you just drop onto the cement and it breaks open... stinking for a long while. Just ask local high school kid where they get them... They work especially well in inclosed spaces like school hallways thus...