Heat recovery ventilator and composting toilet

Design, build and install a low cost batch feed composting toilet.

Moderator:Bob

Wayne Appleyard
Heat recovery ventilator and composting toilet

Post by Wayne Appleyard » Wed May 03, 2006 5:21 am

Bob,
I just found your web site. Looks like you're doing some great work. I am an architect in Michigan and have one Clivus Multrum system in an existing building that has a HRV plate style system that I have only been able to eliminate the cross contamination that was occurring by pulling the plug on the fresh air fan side. (I hope to add a fan outside the unit to provide the proper positive pressure to eliminate this CC). It suffered from a long exhaust duct with too big a pressure drop.
I am about to complete the design of another project with a similar system and was looking for a heat pipe HRV as a possible solution for eliminating the CC, but haven't found one small enough.
It sounds like you have been able to make the standard plate type work. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help and for you having this site and forum. Love your thoughts on "copyleft".

Wayne Appleyard
Wayne Appleyard

Bob

Post by Bob » Sun May 07, 2006 9:53 am

Hi Wayne,

The HRV I am currently using is a VanEE 2000 (since bought by Venmar). So I'm not sure what you mean by "pulling the plug on the fresh air fan side".

But, in general, if you can find a unit (and design the duct system) to insure that the supply side is always at positive pressure with respect to the exhaust side you should be ok. And, of course pay special attention to how the defrost cycle works.

I haven't kept up with the latest models and features to be able to offer a specific recommendation though.