cling-proofing the waste chute

Design, build and install a low cost batch feed composting toilet.

Moderator:Bob

Dean Schwank
cling-proofing the waste chute

Post by Dean Schwank » Tue Apr 09, 2002 5:09 pm

Hi Bob!!
Your suggestion that clinging poops could start to reduce the inside diameter of the waste chute brings to mind the idea that polyethylene sheet in tube form for heat-sealing parts etc. can be purchased from places like McMaster-Carr in varying diameters in rolls. A composter user could cut a pre-determined length of this material and drop it down the waste chute, suspending it from the toilet somehow. It would act as a throw-away liner, to be replaced as needed, maybe every year or maybe every ten years after some experience. Getting it to stay open to the approximate full diameter of the waste chute might need some experimentation, though. I suppose spraying a little water before and after each use might help keep it open and relatively free of any build-up. Any thoughts?

Thanks, Dean

[This message has been edited by Dean Schwank (edited 04-09-2002).]

Bob

Post by Bob » Fri Apr 12, 2002 3:31 pm

That's an interesting idea. The advantage of the throway liner is relatively little fuss, but disadvantage is that when you do throw it away, it will be pretty nasty, including uncomposted fresh material. I had in mind a more rigid, permanent, cleanable, non-stick (relatively) liner. Maybe 1/8" thick PE sheet bent into a tube? I was thinking of the problem not just as build-up, reducing diameter, but as just unsanitary.

In a previous version that I built (& used for maybe 5 years before replacing with the flush toilet system I have now), the chute consisted of a length of 12" dia galvanized sheet metal duct. Even though it was straight vertical, maybe 4' high, over time the urine hitting the side and an occasional splash of feces or garbage (explosive diarrhea, whatever) corroded it. Started around the bottom edge, working its way up. When I finally replaced it, it was pretty nasty.

Thumper/inOKC

Post by Thumper/inOKC » Mon Apr 29, 2002 6:08 pm

Has or does anyone make a glazed interior pipe? Such as a enamel cookware has or the old fasioned granite ware [also called "granny ware"], a finish like that would flake and drop material as it drys. Maybe the drop chute could be made of glazed ceramic?

Michael

Post by Michael » Sat May 25, 2002 12:37 pm

Since I'm planning to build the indoor privy style, my clingproofing problems are probably more simple to solve. I plan to take the top half of a plastic bucket and attach it to the bottom of the toilet seat, and seal where the top of the bucket meets the seat. I then plan to insert this seat/shoot assembly into the appropriate sized hole in the bench surface of the Privy. I am expecting that this will allow the removal of the seat/shoot assembly to allow cleaning without allowing any disinfectant down into my collection barrel. Perhaps this could be adapted to the other styles, but I don't see how in view of the fixtures involved with the bowl of the toilet.

Good Luck
Michael

Dean Schwank

Post by Dean Schwank » Sat May 25, 2002 5:49 pm

In response to Thumper's idea of a rigid permanent material for the waste chute, I think the porcelain coating on steel would be brittle and subject to chipping or invisible crazing just from handling, and then would be subject to rusting once the protective coating were compromised. A rigid material would certainly be the solution to the hypothetical problem of my idea of collapsible PE tubing. This brings to mind the idea of using the high grade stainless steel single wall chimney material available from wood stove stores and chimney sweeps. The surface finish is very smooth. If the poops still insist on clinging and building up, I suppose I would designate a plastic barrel kept outdoors for a soaking tub, and a nylon bristle brush on a stout locust handle for whenever the pipe would need servicing. This would be summer work. I would further suggest that you never try to scrape it with a putty knife, as this would scratch the surface that you want to keep mirror-smooth. It may sound unsanitary and disgusting, but think about it: We change our babies' diapers and clean up after our dogs and cats when they make a mess in the house or yard.