horse manure

Digester design and construction info

Moderator:Bob

antelope
horse manure

Post by antelope » Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:08 am

Hi

Can you tell me whether your systems would work with horse manure? I'm a little confused as to whether a liquid slurry is a requirement or not...am I able to just dump a load of horse droppings into the tank and let it run?

Thanks for a fascinating site.

Bob

Post by Bob » Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:36 am

Hi, antelope,

Yes, horse manure should be a fine feedstock.

No, a liquid slurry is not a prerequisite for anaerobic digestion, per se. But it is for this particular digester design. For proper operation it must be liquid enough to flow through pipes and be pumpable.

Alastair

Horse manure

Post by Alastair » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:59 am

Hi,

I'm currently doing an MSc in Renewable energy and for my project I am looking at horse manure as a feedstock for a small scale AD plant.
I was wondering if anyone knows of any plants that are up and running and have used horse manure.

My experience thus far is that the manure will need to be broken down and mixed before digestion, or alternatively a dry process will be required.

Great site Bob. What is the basis for the biogas yield from horse manure as shown on the calculator?

Thanks
Alastair

Bob

Post by Bob » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:43 am

What is the basis for the biogas yield from horse manure as shown on the calculator?

Hi Alastair,

Glad you could join us. That is a frequent question. See http://biorealis.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=74 about 4 posts down.

(I should definitely add a FAQ hereabouts.)