AD in Puerto Rico

Post by Luis » Wed Dec 04, 2002 5:12 am

Hi Bob,
My name is Luis A. Perez and I'm writing from Puerto Rico. Recently
I was searching your website and found the design and drawings of an Anaerobic
Digesters and your work in this field
I'm first interested to contact you for
more information.
We are 2 individuals (Engineers, who wants to explore the production of methane both in domestic systems (houses, hotels, communities) and also in dairy farms. Our job resume range from pharmaceutical and electronic companies like
Procter and Gamble, Johnson and Johnson and Hewlett Packard LTD.
Going straight to the point, We both want to work in a "green company". We want to invest the experience and expertise we gain in our jobs to form a parnership with a company with our same vision. We are in the tropics, temperature conditions are ideal year round. Electricity cost in this island is expensive. Specially for dairy farms is more than a 33% of their operational cost for
milking, and cooling the milk. Environmental regulations are forcing us to eliminate minimize sewer practices but nobody is providing alternative waste management systems There is nobody
established here that could provide training in this field for individuals like us
who wants to learn.

In the farming area, We have visited a few farms around and they know nothing about the production of methane from cattle manure.

Base in the knowledge that you have designing and developing this
technology, How can we get/provide information from/to a business like
yours with the intention to bring this technology to PR? Is there any
liason that we can form so we can increase our technical expertise and bring your green enterprise here. Who do we need to do? Are you interested to expand your
market to Puerto Rico. What else do we need to invest to get your interest in this? How can we become a representative of such a
technology ? We have the people who can research potential candidates for
this plant but first we all agree to see a system running.

We have contacted individuals and businesses in other parts of the US. They
sell designs, consultation, inspection of construction and sometimes are
"experts" that sell "turn key projects" but none of them are willing to
provide knowledge or are willing for visiting. We discovered that this is
something booming in the United States but they do not express interest (so
far) to do a feasibility study here in Puerto Rico. We have compiled a lot
of information from the web but we would like to know what formal education
is outhere.
> Thanks for your time and I will appreciate if you reply this message. You

>
> Very respectfully
>
> Luis A. Perez

Bob

Post by Bob » Wed Dec 04, 2002 2:23 pm

Hola Luis,

Whew! Many questions. I'll try to answer...

First of all, what are your goals? Do you and your partner want to build and sell digesters? Or design them for others to build and operate? Or provide training, information, and resources for end-users to be able to build their own? Or...?

My interests lie somewhere between the latter two: provide a source of free information & tech resources for do-it-yourselfers with limited resources, and sell consulting/design services for specific projects beyond the expertise of do-it-yourselfers.

What kind of funding or financing is available to build such systems? I assume that may vary widely. For example, a small dairy farmer out on the island may be in an entirely different financial position than, say, the Condado Beach Hotel, and thus, a candidate for an entirely different type of system. Digester designs vary from very simple, low-tech affairs that can be done on a village scale, to expensive high-tech systems suitable for industrial wastes, and everything in between.

Are there any programs in place -- e.g. low cost government loan programs, etc. for such projects?

Yes, I would be most interested in doing something in Puerto Rico (by the way, I lived there for about 5 years when I was in grade school, in the mid-50's. (y hablo Espanol tambien -- lo poco que recuerdo... :-) And I would love to visit there again if a way could be found to do it.

May I suggest that, for starters, you identify a candidate for a small demonstration project? Something that lends itself to a simple, low-tech solution, and that can be used also as a learning project?Perhaps set it up as a local community self-help project, and document the construction for publication.

These are just some thoughts. Sounds like an interesting opportunity! And I would definitely be interested in being involved.

Bob

Post by Bob » Wed Dec 04, 2002 3:38 pm

As an example of a minimum cost, low tech solution, here is a link to an excellent paper with instructions and photos describing HOW TO INSTALL A POLYETHYLENE BIOGAS PLANT -- a very simple plug-flow digester suitable for a rural family with a few animals, in the tropics.

Luis

Post by Luis » Fri Dec 06, 2002 3:22 am

Hi,
Thanks for your reply. I'm sharing your answer with my partner. I also want to addres each one of your questions to show you how commited we are to start this project and how much we know so far.
Is there any phone # that we can contact you?
The ideal situation will be buying one of your systems to install it and make it run here. Then use it as a demonstration site.
Talk to you later
Luis

Bob

Post by Bob » Sat Dec 07, 2002 5:27 am

Email sent.

Bob

Post by Bob » Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:35 pm

email sent...