pretreatment to a demonstration living machine

Moderator:Bob

Wayne Appleyard
pretreatment to a demonstration living machine

Post by Wayne Appleyard » Wed May 03, 2006 5:28 am

Bob,
I am working on this nature center for a school in Michigan that wants to have a demonstration scale living machine in their greenhouse where we can divert(only ocationally) greywater from the surge tank(we are using composting toilets so there is only greywater) into the living machine.

I am looking at having a primary tank for the living machine be sealed (vented to the outside actually)and have a small bubbler in it to aerate the water before it travels into the open tanks in order to eliminate the odor that I would expect from the inherent tendency for the storage tank to go anaerobic.

Do you have any experience or suggestions concerning this.

Thanks again for the forum and your advice.

Wayne Appleyard
Wayne Appleyard

Bob

Post by Bob » Sun May 07, 2006 9:36 am

That sounds like a good idea in general, Wayne. It's hard to be able to offer anything more specific, though, without knowing more about the details of the living machine or the characteristics of the wastewater that you will be treating. There are so many variations.

Some Living Machines incorporate closed anaerobic tanks as first phase(s) anyway, so I don't know how your initial tank would affect the downstream biology.