ESA:Melissa Project

Designing, building, living in a bioshelter.

Moderator:Bob

David Shah
ESA:Melissa Project

Post by David Shah » Thu May 23, 2002 1:54 pm

The european space agency has now taken the lead in Life support with their Micro-ecology-Life-support-alternative system which uses coomon soil organisms in Bioreactors in a 3 stage process which produces Fertilizer for Algae and Higher Plants from Humanure thus closing the rend in the cycles of Life,,,I hope that Humankind will learn to reintegrate ourselves back into the ECO system with these new ideas....

Bob

Post by Bob » Thu Jun 20, 2002 5:01 am

Do you have any links to information on this technology?

David Shah

Post by David Shah » Thu Jun 20, 2002 7:12 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bob:
Do you have any links to information on this technology?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Bob,I don't have a way to link right now,but if you go to the ESA website and look for the Icon which says "improving daily Life"then look to the bottom of the page,,something about space technology reduces sludge then when you open that page..up on the right hand corner you'll find an article written a few months ago,,"waste not want not"and in that article there is a link to Graphics and the Melissa Project,,sorry about the convolutedness,perhaps you could put up a link to Melissa?..they have a couple of patents though....thanks for everything,Dave.

Benjamin

URL to article

Post by Benjamin » Thu Jan 01, 2004 8:52 pm

"Good, the more communicated, more abundant grows."
~ John Milton (1608-74); English poet.

Bob

Post by Bob » Fri Jan 02, 2004 10:18 am

Thanks for the link Benjamin. And nice to see you here. Welcome.

Reading the Melissa page, it looks like the innovation is the use of hydrogen peroxide to break down the resistant fraction. Bringing this technology to "the people", I wonder how much H2O2 costs.

(Hmmm... a search on "hydrogen peroxide" turns up This site. I see that, among other uses, they say it is used for Municipal Wastewater applications.)

Cool. They also have a handy calculator

othomas

Bioshelter design notes

Post by othomas » Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:42 pm

Bob: here is the reference you requested.

http://www.estec.esa.nl/ecls/?p=

Hope it is useful

Owen Thomas

Bob

Post by Bob » Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:01 pm

Thanks Owen

Sint Joris

Post by Sint Joris » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:05 am

Someone who has more information about the MELiSSA-project? Especially about part IVa of it.
Over a month I'm gone make my traineeship and thesis for college about the BIORAT-part and i'm looking already information for it.

thanks!

Bob

Post by Bob » Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:00 pm

Interesting, Sint,

I'm wondering how much applicability this project has to small scale, decentralized, rural, and/or 3rd world applications. Or is it technically complex, expensive, relevant mostly for space exploration, etc.

A few years ago I was involved with design of wastewater treatment systems for the Amundsen-Scott South Pole station. One of the experiments being conducted there was NASA's CELSS Project. While this was a very interesting experiment, the goals and design criteria for the experimental project were very different from the goals, demands and design criteria required for a system to serve the people living at the station.

Sint Joris

Post by Sint Joris » Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:42 am

The ESA works with the same strategie: design a wastwater treatment system, optimaze it and test it on an isolated group on Antarctic.
ESA is using already a part of the MELiSSA loop on the Franc-Italian base 'Concordia' for his blackwater treatment unit: http://www.estec.esa.nl/ecls/?p=ttpantarctica.
The results from their will also be used to perfectionate the loop for the space missions.